Design and Technology at OGC.
Design and Technology aims to develop students’ confidence in creative problem solving and practical areas. Students gain knowledge of health and safety in the workshop, Personal Protective Equipment and the ability to use tools, materials and processes with greater independence.
Through practical projects students:
- Research and explore ideas to solve design problems;
- Design products through drawing and model making;
- Make products in resistant materials and textiles. Through this they will gain an awareness of the properties of materials;
- Evaluate their own and others’ products.
Students use a variety of hand tools including saws, hammers, files, drills, pliers and needle and thread. They will also have the opportunity to use specialist machinery such as pillar drills, scroll saws, belt sanders, pyrography pens, vacuum formers and sewing machines.
Some projects include:
- Wooden letters
- Model houses
- Bird houses
- Hanging mobiles
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Acrylic Perspex docking stations and desk tidies
- Textile logos
- Textile pictures
Maths, science, ICT, English and art are all embedded in the Design Technology curriculum.