Transition for all young people can produce a range of emotions from excitement to causing anxieties around their next steps. At Oak Grove College, we look to support all our students in this process and below we outline some tips on how families can support their young person with this process.
Year 9, 10, 12 and 13
If your young person is in Year 9, 10, 12 or 13 we would recommend that you start researching further education faciliities/providors.
- Speak to your young person/think about what are their favourite subjects/interests?
- Speak to them/think about how have their experiences of link days been? What did they enjoy?
- Start travel traning (if appropraite)
- Start building independence and confidence about moving on.
Year 11 and 14
If your young person is in Year 11 or 14 click on the links below to see information and a timetable of key dates.
- Speak to/think about your young person waht are their favourite subjects/interests?
- You will need to arrange transport if your young person as this does not automatically renew for Post 16 students even if they are reamaining at Oak Grove College.
- Make visits to FE provisio/Adult Social Care. Go to their open days as these are a great source of information.
- You may need to sign up/make an account wit chosen providor to submit an application.
- You may want to consider that FE/Adult Social Care for your young person may not be full time with one providor.
- The annual review for your young person this will be key. You/your young person will need to have an idea of where they would like to go.
If you have any further questions then contact your young person’s tutor.
Further Education Providors
West Sussex Parent Carer Forum Website
The West Sussex Parent Carer Forum have a website at www.wspcf.org.uk
Written and developed by parent carers, it aims to be both simple and easy to use. Both parent carers and professionals, will find information on what we do and the help and support that is available in West Sussex for children and young people, aged 0-25 with additional needs and disabilities, and their families.
Please note that, as a registered charity, we are using org.uk in our domain name. Our emails have also changed to this effect and you can contact us on our general office email at firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND Benefits Advice
West Sussex provide adivce regarding a range of beneifits including Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Use the link below to take you the West Sussex SEND Advice and Benefits Page.